This program is part associated with the (Res)MA History Programme. It isn’t available for BA pupils.
This Research Seminar targets the archives associated with VOC or Dutch East Asia business. It partly functions as a practical, more certain counterpart associated with Literature Seminar. It relates to a number of the basic archival problems discussed there, but details them into the context of the seventeenth- and 18th-century Dutch-Asian enterprise that is commercial. Although the VOC records formally comprised company management, in training additionally they functioned as a huge repository of valuable and information that is secret a number of activities in early-modern Asia.
The different remaining VOC archives are comprised of several various types if not “genres” of papers, including maps. Further, they partly overlap with materials that fall away from confines of those collections, but are closely regarding them, such as for example personal documents, missionary records, travel records, as well as pieces of art. These diverse materials were produced with various purposes, consist and organised in various methods, and information that is present various perspecitives.
This seminar considers and compares all of these sources from both an archival and a historiographical viewpoint. It searches for similarities and differences when considering, in the one hand, the VOC archives and, having said that, archives of contemporaneous Dutch organizations and of other European trading that is overseas. Pupils who cannot browse (old) Dutch may make use of such other European records, as an example those associated with English East Asia Company.
The pupil has obtained:
- 1 The power to separately recognize and choose literary works, utilizing conventional and contemporary practices;
- 2 The capability to separately determine and choose sources, making use of old-fashioned and contemporary practices;
- 3 The capability to analyse and assess a corpus of sources having a view to handling a certain historic problem;
- 4 the capability to analyse and assess literature by having a view to handling a specific problem that is historical
- 5 the capability to individually formulate a definite and research that is well-argued, taking into consideration the concept and approach to the industry and also to reduce this question to available and workable sub-questions;
- 6 the capacity to separately put up and carry out an initial scientific study that will make a share to existing scholarly debates;
- 7 the capacity to provide an obvious and well-founded dental and written report on research outcomes in proper English, whenever needed essay4you company, or Dutch, fulfilling the requirements for the control;
- 8 the capacity to be involved in current debates into the specialisation;
- 9 the capacity to offer constructive feedback to and formulate criticism of this work of other people plus the capacity to assess the value of such critique and feedback on one’s very very very own work and integrate it;
- 10 (ResMA just): The power to be involved in a conversation regarding the theoretical fundamentals of this control.
Learning goals, regarding the specialisation
- 11 Thorough knowledge and comprehension of 1 for the specialisations or subspecialisations along with associated with the historiography for the specialisation, concentrating especially from the after; into the specialisation Archival Studies: archiving in a context that is colonial understanding of the value of archiving processes for the method by which a culture relates to its documents heritage as a whole and its particular historical practice in specific; disclosure, including electronic disclosure, of archives included in the wider history sector.
- 12 Thorough knowledge and comprehension associated with theoretical, conceptual and methodological components of the specialisation or subspecialisation under consideration, with a focus that is particular the immediate following: in the specialisation Archival Studies: theoretical foundations of archivistics; evaluation and collection of archives.
Learning goals, related to this extensive Research Seminar
- 13 Thorough comprehension of the organization of this VOC archives and just how it comes even close to the organisation of closely associated materials (personal documents, missionary records, etc.), to archives of contemporaneous Dutch organizations also to documents of other European international trading organizations.
- 14 Thorough comprehension of exactly how these different organisational maxims are linked to the goals and audiences of these materials together with type and tone of data they have.
- 15 the capacity to analyse and compare archives developed within an early-modern context that is dutch-non-Western.
- 16 (ResMA only): the capacity to put up and execute initial research that raises brand new concerns, pioneers new apporaches and/or points to brand new directions for future research.